I am a football fan. I am. Not in a crazy, overly fanatic, I-know-all-the-stats-and-history-of-the-game kind of way....but I do enjoy the game. This phenomenon is probably good fodder for the whole nature versus nurture argument. I was raised in West/Central Texas in the era of Friday Night Lights. Yes, my friends, the movie and television show are pretty accurate in their depiction of that culture. The high school I attended (shout out to my Central High School peeps) was a huge rival of Odessa Permian (the FNL team, for those of you who may not know), and I was there in their Time of Greatness. I'm talking football game attendance of 50,000+....for high school....in towns that only have a population of 80,000-90,000. It's about 90 miles from San Angelo to Odessa, and when we travelled to away games the road was peppered with orange and blue balloons tied onto stakes placed in the ground at 1-2 mile intervals. No joke. Can you even imagine how long it took the parents to make that drive? That's some dedication.
He's standing by two of his teammates....and they are average-sized kids. He looks like this next to 90% of the other players on any given team. The other 10%, he towers over by just half a helmet. There's a kind of security to watching this game when your kid is the biggest one on the field.